April 10, 2019
Design is a mix of creativity and technique. Great design tells a story through vivid photography and content reflecting a consistent theme throughout.
- The Vision: Brainstorm and choose a theme
- The Cover: The cover is your first introduction and should reflect your theme and feel. Use cover elements throughout the book. (folios, backgrounds, photo borders)
- The Layout: Remember the dominant photo! Choose eye-catching photos and build the page from there.
- Design your page layout beforehand – be consistent
- Choose photos with more people over crowded collages
- Keep same margin space for spreads and sections-it makes it easy to read!
- Columns add structure. Use same ones for spreads
- Ensure photos stand out from background
- Leave white space in the corners and keep all white space to the outside for better balance
- Use captions and keep them close to photos
Find out more with your Friesens DESIGN lesson:
Friesens Yearbook Consultant